11 May 2011

Yikes! - and an apology

I'm very new to this blogging thing.  When I compose a post on my rather old laptop, and up load a photo, I check it all out in the "Preview" screen and, if it seems okay, I hit 'publish'.  Sometimes when I upload a photo it doesn't seem to appear, so I upload it again, and even again, until finally I can view it on my screen.  The only computer I've ever viewed this blog on was the same one I published it from and, formatting-wise, all seemed well. 
Well today I viewed the blog from someone else's computer and discovered that all was not, in fact, quite so well.  So if you have been reading this blog and have been assaulted by GIANT pictures, and multiple pictures of the same thing, my sincere apologies.  I had (and have) no idea.
Luckily for me I have an extraordinary friend and colleague who, as well as being a general genius, extraordinary musician, and a lovely person, is a computer programmer in his spare time (seriously).  He explained, as best he could to someone like me, a few things and so I am going to try to rectify (and not repeat) the errors.  So my apologies, bear with me while I learn.  And thanks for stopping by.

6 comments:

  1. You know, it never occurred to me to mention it to you. It should have! I think I just like your words so much that I only really ever thought about that. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well thanks Leigh, I am guessing my friends and family were either too polite or figured I had a rather unusual aesthetic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well thanks Leigh, I posted a comment back to you here a few days ago but it seems to have disappeared. Blogger was down for a few days so perhaps something strange happened. I usually use Firefox, so I looked at my blog in Internet Explorer and could see those duplicate and giant photos. I've corrected it (I think) but when I view my blog using Firefox, the layout is strange -text in odd positions etc. Do you have any helpful hints?

    ReplyDelete
  4. here via eleanor -
    I love taking a few quiet moments and rereading my blog from years past.

    enjoy the journey

    ReplyDelete
  5. So - like I said, I am far from an expert, but here are my thoughts.

    One thing I can think of is that when you prepare your photos to upload them to blogger you can try saving them as a smaller size.

    Also, do you view your post as a preview before you post it? I'm not sure if this will help if your blog looks different in different readers though.

    Perhaps you need to use a different template, one that works well across all browsers.

    Something that is sometimes useful is searching the blogger help forum;

    http://www.google.com/support/blogger/?hl=en

    Hope this helps. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your tips Leigh. I think I've managed to figure out the giant photo issue, but still having problems with text appearing in different places in different browsers. I'm sure it must be some very obvious mistake I'm making as I am fairly technologically - um - limited shall we say? Thanks for taking the time to help me out - really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete