02 July 2011

Going Slow

The computer has been going slow for the past few weeks, whilst life conspired to go fast.  In the absence of the five-minute-email-check-turned-into-hour-long-net-surf quite a bit of stuff got done, despite the work-related busy-ness.

This skirt for Ruby was my first venture into dressmaking without following a pattern. It's a long way from perfect but ended up pretty much how I wanted, though I need to take the hem up a bit. I found the right buttons here.  I like the little excerpt of someone else's life you get in places like the Nicholas building.

I started on one of these quilts which is intended to`be the colours of the beach - greys, blues, muted yellows. Wow, that sounds terribly wanky -hopefully the quilt won't be.


The yellow you may recognise from here. That grey material in the front was once part of a favourite skirt of mine.  But then, one very wild and woolly Melbourne night, whilst cycling home from work in the rain, that skirt became tangled in my bike spokes.  And in my haste to get it untangled, this happened:



That skirt will now become part of a quilt and a shorter skirt for Nina. I know I ought not cycle in skirts, especially longish wrap skirts. But I do.


And while I was doing all the cutting for the quilt, I felt the need for a bit of quick satisfaction in the form of a finished item. The lazy days skirt is a favourite. It takes about 30 minutes and looks especially adorable on a twenty month old big nappied bottom with chunky waist and stubby legs. I've made a few of these in various sizes, but this size definitely works best I reckon.

2 comments:

  1. Not wanky at all! But your comment did make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That will be gorgeous! Can't wait to see how it turns out. Amelia

    ReplyDelete