03 July 2011

Unguarded Moment


We listened to Unguarded Moment  by The Church in the car tonight. The younger three girls were asleep, Ruby alone was awake.  She liked this song, "especially when he sings 'They only make me feel like...'".  This is one of my favourite songs, but I don't know what it is about - the men with 'horses for hearts' who 'make me feel like shrinking'. It reminds me of being nineteen, life about to start, anything possible.


When do moments become guarded?  When does the feeling that anything is possible dissipate?  This weekend Lily danced naked on the kitchen table, to the joy of all.  Grace will still half shut her eyes in a kind of ecstasy when she dances.  Ruby danced in front of the darkened glass doors this evening as we packed to leave the beach, but probably would have stopped if she realised I was watching.


This song made me feel nostalgic even when I was nineteen.  Sharing this music with Ruby, driving through the darkened world, sleeping children in the car.  We are such stuff as dreams are made on.

2 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful post. To be honest - I live for unguarded moments! Glad to see someone else out there is bringing up kids who have lots of them.

    And thanks for your lovely comments lately. x

    ReplyDelete