15 November 2011

There is power in a Union



I went to the book launch of "The Attitude of Cups" this evening, an anthology of poetry put together by the Melbourne Poet's Union. My sister had a poem in the collection. I like her work: it's evocative, honest and short.

On the way to Collected Works, where the launch was held, I passed a noisy demonstration. A small but vocal group, some dressed as chickens, were marching. They held signs deploring the conditions in which they are employed by a large poultry processing company. They were shouting and I stopped to hear their chant. "Whadda we think's outrageous? Paltry/poultry wages. Whadda we think's disgusting? Union busting".

Unions of poets and poets of unions. We need more of both.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Jules! It was great to have you there.I love the poetry of the demonstrators!
    Love
    Cath

    ReplyDelete